Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Southend United suffer 4-0 defeat to Millwall

28 December 2015

Southend end 2015 with a defeat

Southend United suffered a 4-0 home defeat to Millwall on the final game of 2015 this afternoon.

A nightmare first 45 minutes from Blues gave the away side a 3-0 lead at half time after goals from Joe Martin, an unfortunate Daniel Bentley own goal and a Fred Onyedinma strike on the stroke of half time.

Southend ringed the changes at half time but it was Millwall who got another through Irish striker Aiden O’Brien after he slotted the ball home when one on one with Bentley.

Millwall started the game the brightest winning a number of corners in the opening minutes but Southend found their way back into the game and had the first real chance with 16 minutes gone.

Ben Coker delivered a superb left footed corner which was met by the head of Adam Barrett, only for the ball to sail over the bar.

It was the away side who took the lead in the 27th minute after defender Martin found the bottom corner via the post with a drilled right footed strike.

Onyedinma somehow managed to keep the ball in down the right hand side before crossing into the box, Blues failed to fully clear the danger and Martin was on hand 20 yards out to give the Lions the lead.

Blues tried to find their way back into the game instantly with an acrobatic David Worrall effort but David Forde managed to hold on.

Things went from bad to worse for Southend with Millwall doubling their lead in freak circumstances.

A right sided cross from Cummings looped over Bentley’s head before rebounding off the keeper and unfortunately into the back of the net much to his despair.

With one minute added on before the end of the half Millwall got another goal to send the travelling fans into raptures.

Bentley pulled off a superb one handed save to deny a rasping Morison strike but Onyedinma was on hand to fire the rebound into the rood of the net from close range.

Phil Brown made two changes at the break with Stephen McLaughlin and Gary Deegan coming on to replace Ben Coker and David Worrall.

With less than 60 minutes on the clock, all three Southend substitutions had been made with Joe Pigott coming on to replace Noel Hunt.

The striker nearly found the net for the Blues after only being on for a matter of minutes but a last gasp block from Martin on the line denied him.

But it was Millwall who once again found the back of the net with 70 minutes gone through striker O’Brien.

Forde’s clearance somehow made its way through to Morison who played a great ball to O’Brien and with just Bentley to beat the Irish striker’s left footed effort trickled into the net.

Southend were unable to find a route back into the game and Millwall ran out comfortable 4-0 winners in Blues’ last game of 2015.

Advertisement block