Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Bury 0-1 Southend United

21 April 2015

Worrall winner makes it a memorable night at Gigg Lane.

A dramatic David Worrall free kick with just 16 minutes left sealed a terrific victory for Southend United at Bury in Sky Bet League Two.

Former Bury man Worrall bent his free kick over the wall and into the top corner to earn Blues victory in a tight encounter.

And the win moves Blues into fourth place – leaping over Bury – and puts the Club level on points with third placed Wycombe Wanderers with just two games left.

Southend manager Phil Brown made one change to the starting XI that beat Exeter City on Saturday with Barry Corr coming in for Joe Pigott up front.

John White failed a late fitness test for the game, but still made the trip to Lancashire.

Hosts Bury had the first real opportunities of the game after six minutes. After Chris Hussey's low ball into the box, Adam Barrett was out bravely to block a powerful Ryan Lowe strike, and then Andrew Tutte smashed his strike past the post just a moment later.

Mid-way through the first half, a Hussey corner found the rising Nathan Cameron at the back post, but fortunately for Southend, the big Bury centre back headed just past Bentley's left-hand post, before Tutte curled an effort over the bar a minute later.

Tutte again saw an effort fly well over the bar five minutes later – in the 24th minute – after good work from former Southend loanee Danny Mayor on the left-hand side. 

Just after the half hour mark, Mayor wriggled free in the box before a Barrett deflection resulted in the ball falling onto the roof of the net.

And a minute later, Cameron headed wide again after another wicked Hussey delivery from the left.

The hosts went close again with five minutes of the half remaining, as Bentley had to tip away a powerfully struck Lowe attempt away from danger, as the half drew to a close.

Bury came out after the break in similar fashion and Bentley had to be alert to stop a low Danny Nardiello cross on the left.

Brown made a double change before the hour, with Jack Payne and Worrall coming on for Stephen McLaughlin and Jake Cassidy.

And Payne nearly scored just after entering the action, but Cameron was there to hook the ball off the toes of the diminutive Southend midfielder.

Blues were improving and growing into the game, and Michael Timlin – the match winner in the last Southend game – drove a shot wide of Nick Pope's goal from long range.

With 20 minutes to go and both teams going for the win, the game was opening up slightly, and Lowe again tested Bentley with a strike on goal.

And with just 15 minutes remaining, Blues got the breakthrough. After Kelvin Etuhu brought down Payne in the box, Worrall stepped up to curl an exquisite free kick over the wall and into the top corner of the net.

Late Bury pressure was seen out by a resolute Southend defence - and a superb stop from Bentley at the death from Danny Rose - for the Blues to register another great victory – their sixth in a row.

Blues: Bentley, Leonard (c), Bolger, Barrett, Coker; Atkinson (Weston, 79), Timlin, Deegan, McLaughlin (Payne, 55); Corr, Cassidy (Worrall, 55).

Substitutes: T. Smith, Hurst, Binnom-Williams, Pigott

Advertisement block