Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Match Report: Southend United 1-1 Bury

25 October 2014

Corr goal not enough as Blues pick up a point at home to Bury

Barry Corr got himself back on the Southend United scoresheet but it wasn't enough as Blues draw 1-1 with Bury at Roots Hall in Sky Bet League Two.

Corr's first half strike earned Blues a point, as Bury equalised with 20 minutes of the game remaining through substitute Craig Jones.

Phil Brown made a couple of changes to the lineup that began at Newport County in midweek, with Lee Barnard and David Worrall returning to the XI at the expense of Myles Weston and Adam Thompson.

It was a quiet opening ten minutes from both sides, the best chance during this time falling to Barnard, who swivelled and volleyed over the bar from a low Worrall cross.

On 17 minutes, Michael Timlin came close to deceiving Shakers' goalkeeper Rob Lainton with a cheeky attempt from a free kick that went into the side netting.

Minutes after the half hour mark and Bury had their best opportunity to break the deadlock through loanee Courtney Duffus. The striker latched on the end of a long ball forward but Dan Bentley did excellently to smother at the feet of the forward and the danger was cleared.

On 37 minutes, Brown's side took the lead through Corr, who rifled past Lainton after a terrific first touch to Blues in charge at a great time.

Corr could have grabbed quick fire double when – just five minutes later – the Irishman and Timlin linked up again, but the striker could only head the free kick wide of the target.

Worrall – up against one of his former sides – powered a long range strike over the bar as Blues went into half time with a narrow advantage.

Bury came out of the traps straight after the break, with Duffus firing straight at Bentley after one minute of the second half beginning.

Substitute Ryan Lowe went close to catching Bentley out with a cross-shot that went just past the post prior to the hour mark at Roots Hall.

With 20 minutes remaining, Jones powered a header home from a Danny Mayor cross from the left to level the scores.

Moments later, and down the other end, Worrall raced clear before looking to be dragged down by Pablo Mills, however, referee Darren Drysdale waved away claims for a penalty.

The game spiced up in the latter stages but that was to be that in an even game. A point apiece was probably the right result.

Blues: Bentley; Leonard, White (c), Prosser, Williams; Worrall, Timlin, Deegan, Atkinson (Payne, 82), Corr, Barnard (Weston, 66)

Unused: P. Smith, Thompson, Hurst, Bolger, Coulthirst

Advertisement block