Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Match Report: Southend United 0-1 Morecambe

4 October 2014

Blues' four-game winning streak came to an end at the hands of Morecambe after Jack Redshaw's early strike separated the two sides

Redshaw struck after just four minutes – volleying home brilliantly - as a luckless Blues suffered defeat.

Blues boss Phil Brown went with the same XI that defeated Shrewsbury Town a week earlier, but David Worrall and Jason Williams returned to the bench at the expense of Barry Corr and Jack Bridge. Corr missing out with an ankle injury.

It was to be a dreadful start for Blues as Morecambe took the lead inside the opening four minutes. Paul Mullin's cross from the right-hand side was inch perfect for Jack Redshaw and the striker volleyed past the despairing dive of Dan Bentley.

Blues responded well though, and moments later, Conor Clifford rattled the upright when he curled the ball from the edge of the box, but the danger was cleared.

Morecambe began the game well and Bentley denied Redshaw again on 15 minutes as he pushed out a one-on-one with the Blues custodian. The danger was then superbly cleared by Adam Thompson as Kevin Ellison was about to pull the trigger.

Jack Payne saw his effort on the edge of the box curl into the gloves of Barry Roche in the Morecambe goal.

On the 30 minute mark, Blues had a great chance to equalise but Shaq Coulthirst could only head Hurst's delightful cross straight into the gloves of Shrimps' 'keeper Roche.

Next to try his luck was Myles Weston moments later but his effort from the edge of the box was deflected straight at Roche before Coulthirst again saw his shot blocked before Hurst's stinging effort was beaten away by the visiting goalkeeper.

Blues were knocking on the door as the half drew to a close and Coulthirst went even closer three minutes before the break but he curled inches wide of the post after wriggling free of his marker.

After half time, Blues came out strongly and both Clifford and Weston had attempts from goal after the break.

Blues boss Brown made a double change on the hour mark as Lee Barnard and Will Atkinson replaces Payne and Clifford respectively, as Blues looked to grab an equaliser.

Moments later and Coulthrist had another chance. Good link-up play between the loanee and Barnard led to the former getting the ball back but firing a shot just past the post.

Soon after, Brown made his final change of the game, bringing on Worrall for Weston.

At the other end, Bentley had to be on his toes to stop a Redshaw header adding to his and Morecambe's tally.

A neat move up the left side by Worrall saw his cross eventually cleared to Deegan, but the Irishman flashed his strike just over the upright

With ten minutes remaining, Blues were pushing further forward and Jerome Williams saw his goal-bound effort deflected just past Roche's post.

During five minutes of added time, a cross into the box evaded Luke Prosser, Coulthirst and Worrall and that was that, as the referee blew for full time.

Blues: Bentley; White (c), Thompson, Prosser, Williams; Payne (Barnard, 60), Deegan, Clifford (Atkinson, 60); Weston (Worrall, 68), Coulthirst, Hurst

Unused: P. Smith, Ibenfeldt, J. Williams, Bolger

Advertisement block