Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Match Report: Southend United 2-0 Northampton Town

29 November 2014

Barry Corr's penalty proves the difference as Blues defeat ten-man Northampton Town

Second half goals from Barry Corr and David Worrall sealed a fourth consecutive Sky Bet League Two win for Blues at Roots Hall, against Chris Wilder's Northampton Town.

After an even first 45 minutes, Corr blasted in a penalty – after Cobbers' goalkeeper Jordan Archer was sent off for bringing the frontman down – and Worrall continued his good form with Southend's second goal of the game, in a confident second half performance from Phil Brown's side.

Brown made two changes to the starting XI that defeated Tranmere a week previously, with Myles Weston coming in for Kevan Hurst, and new signing John-Joe O'Toole making his Southend United debut against his parent side.

Inside the opening five minutes, Blues had their chance, and it dropped to O'Toole. The new signing got on the end of a loose ball and volleyed towards goal – Northampton 'keeper Archer parried and Jack Payne could only prod wide of the target from inside the six yard box.

After the 15 minute mark, Blues had another attempt, but this time, Corr's effort failed to test Archer and his strike from just outside the box flew just over the crossbar.

Northampton's only real opportunity of the opening 45 minutes came through one of their new signings, as Ollie Banks blazed wide and high from an acute angle.

Chances in the first half were few and far between, and just before half time, Michael Timlin's powerfully struck free kick had to be beaten away by Archer.

Soon after the break, the visitors had a great chance to go 1-0 up, but Kelvin Langmead headed wide of the target from close range after a Ricky Ravenhill corner.

Just before the hour mark, skipper John White – up from left back – let fly from all of 25 yards, but the effort went the wrong side of Archer's right-hand post and into the side netting.

Moments later and Northampton had an opportunity of their own, however, striker Marc Richards saw his curling free kick end up in the North Bank, rather than in the back of Dan Bentley's net.

Soon after and Blues had the lead. It all came from a mistake from Cobblers' 'keeper Archer, who somehow didn't deal with a ball in from Weston. Corr pounced, went round the Northampton custodian before being brought down.

Archer was given a straight red card for his troubles, before Corr dusted himself down to emphatically fire into the roof of the net and past substitute goalkeeper Matt Duke.

The goal saw Blues' confidence rise more, and Weston was denied a goal on his return to the lineup after Duke tipped away his curling right-footed effort from outside the box.

With 11 minutes of the game remaining, Worrall added gloss to the Blues scoreline with a tap in from six yards after great work from Weston down the left-hand side

It was just what Blues deserved after a spell of pressure on the Cobblers' goal. However, the visitors could have pulled a goal back a minute later, but Marc Richards hit wide after a cross from the left.

Worrall could have grabbed his second and Southend's third following a good move, before the winger was denied by Duke and Corr's follow up was hacked clear.

However, Blues saw the game out comfortably and continued their fine league form, to complete a memorable November.

Blues: Bentley; Thompson, Bolger, Prosser, White (c); Worrall, O'Toole, (Deegan, 89), Timlin, Weston (Atkinson, 82); Payne (Coulthirst, 85); Corr

Unused: P. Smith, Clifford, Williams, Sokolik

Advertisement block