Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Season Review December: Blues end year on a high

30 May 2014

We take a look back at the month of December from the 2013-14 season

After a long ten months, Southend United’s 2013-14 campaign ended in disappointing fashion, as Burton Albion won 3-2 on aggregate to progress to the play-off final at Wembley.

Despite that, progression has been made by Blues this season under manager Phil Brown, in his first full season as Southend United boss.

Here, we take a look back at December, as Blues made progress in the FA Cup, and picked up an excellent away win on Boxing Day.

Chesterfield 1-3 Southend United – Saturday 7th December

Blues made it into the third round of the FA Cup with a terrific away win against Chesterfield at the Proact Stadium.

The hosts went ahead when Tendayi Darikwa tapped home from Gary Roberts’ cross.

Marc Laird scored his only goal of the season to level from Ben Coker’s corner, before Anthony Straker headed home from Kevan Hurst’s cross to send Blues in to half-time 2-1 ahead.

Drew Talbot headed against the crossbar for the Spireites, before Barry Corr missed a penalty for Blues as they looked to wrap the game up.

They did just that when, after good work from Anthony Straker and Marc Laird, Kevan Hurst fired home against his former club.

Torquay United 1-0 Southend United – Saturday 14th December

The unbeaten run in all competitions was at seven games, but ended with a disappointing defeat to struggling Torquay.

The game, played in terrible conditions, was decided by a single goal, as John Marquis struck in the second-half.

Barry Corr and Freddy Eastwood had Blues’ best chances of the game late on, but the run came to an end.

Southend United 1-1 Rochdale – Friday 20th December

The final game before Christmas ended all square as promotion hopefuls Rochdale took a point away from Roots Hall.

Jamie Allen curled home with his left foot to give the visitors the lead, before Luke Prosser made two terrific clearances on the line to keep it at 1-0.

Kevan Hurst lashed home following good work from Barry Corr and Michael Timlin to level for Blues, and that is exactly how it stayed.

AFC Wimbledon 0-1 Southend United – Thursday 26th December

Cauley Woodrow was the match winner as Blues enjoyed some festive cheer on the road, winning 1-0 at AFC Wimbledon.

Woodrow came off the bench to head home from John White’s cross against ten-man AFC Wimbledon, who had George Francomb sent off in the first-half.

The game would mark loanee Rob Kiernan’s final game for the club, as he was recalled by Wigan following a string of excellent performances.

Accrington Stanley 1-1 Southend United – Sunday 29th December

Southend United ended the year with a point as they drew 1-1 with Accrington Stanley at the Crown Ground.

Mark Phillips’ unfortunate own goal allowed the hosts to take the lead midway through the second-half.

But his fellow defensive partner Luke Prosser rose highest from Kevan Hurst’s corner to level the scores.

Phillips almost redeemed himself with a late strike from 20-yards, but his effort was well kept out.

The point meant Blues ended the year in sixth spot, with 38 points from 23 games, three points off top sport.

Advertisement block