Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Scunthorpe United vs. Southend United

11 March 2014

Report: Scunthorpe 2-2 Southend United

Southend United came from two goals down to pick up a point on their travels as they drew 2-2 with Scunthorpe United.

Matt Sparrow opened the scoring in just the third minute for the home side, before Sam Winnall doubled their advantage just after the half hour mark.

John Egan gave Blues a lifeline with a stunning 35-yard volley after Phil Brown’s side had rallied after the half-time break.

It wasn’t long before Blues were level, as John White scored his first ever professional goal, seeing his cross loop over Sam Slocombe and go in off the post.

Brown restored Marc Laird and Conor Clifford to the starting line-up with Michael Timlin and Anthony Straker dropping to the bench.

New signing Jaub Sokalik was among the substitutes, having joined Blues on loan from Liverpool earlier in the day.

Blues couldn’t have wished for a worse start, as Sparrow fired the hosts ahead in just the third minute.

Paddy Madden’s cross was only cleared by Mark Phillips as far as the former Brighton midfielder, and he smashed home confidently.

Blues’ first effort on target came from Kevan Hurst, as the winger picked up on a quick free-kick from Ben Coker.

His low drive from 22-yard was parried at the first attempt, but Slocombe gathered at the second time of asking.

Dan Bentley was then called into action to produce an excellent save to keep out Sam Winnall.

The Scunthorpe strike was found by Paddy Madden, but Bentley made a smart save to his left to tip the ball round the post.

Blues seemed to grow into the game, but after enjoying a positive five minutes or so, they fell further behind.

Gary McSheffrey produced an excellent delivery from a free-kick on the right, that Winnall got a slight touch on to turn it past Bentley.

Blues were much better at the start of the second-half as they attacked the end housing the 157 travelling supporters, but they were unable to find a way through.

Clifford went closest with a 25-yard drive that went just past the post.

Their efforts were rewarded soon after though in stunning fashion as on-loan defender Egan scored a stunning 35-yard volley to bring Blues back into the game.

The defender controlled a long clearance that sat nicely, and he hammered it home leaving Slocombe no chance.

It wasn’t long before Blues were level from just as an unlikely source. White’s cross was deep and looped over Slocombe via the back post to drop into the net.

Blues' confidence was back and they twice went close to making it 3-2. Clifford was set up by Freddy Eastwood as Blues broke quickly, but his shot hit the side netting.

Coker then raced forward being seeing his right footed shot from 20-yards just about held by Slocombe.

The home fans grew frustrated as Southend made all of the running, but Blues had to settle for a point, despite sub Anthony Straker going close late on.

Blues: Bentley; White, Coker, Phillips, Egan; Leonard, Laird, Clifford (Timlin); Atkinson (Straker), Hurst, Corr (Eastwood).
Subs: Smith, Payne, Sokalik, Barnard.

Advertisement block