Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Southend United vs. Millwall

4 January 2014

Report: Southend United 4-1 Millwall

Southend United thumped Championship side Millwall 4-1 at Roots Hall to progress to the fourth round of the FA Cup.

Barry Corr opened the scoring with a glancing header before the floodlights failed and the game was delayed for 15 minutes.

On the stroke of half time there was more drama after Millwall striker Jermaine Easter was shown a straight red card for an alleged stamp on Ben Coker, Southend made the most of the numerical advantage with Will Atkinson tucking the ball away to double the lead.

The rain poured down in the second half and Michael Timlin's right footed effort skidded off the surface past David Forde in the away goal before Martin Woolford pulled back a consolation for the away team.

In added time Southend rubbed salt into Millwall's wounds with Ryan Leonard comfortably scoring his third goal in two games.

Within a matter of minutes the game was delayed after Lions left back Jack Smith collided with Corr when challenging for a header with the defender needing treatment to a cut on his head.

Blues started brightly with Anthony Straker running in on goal before forcing Forde to make a save with his legs, Timlin's rebound was blocked by Smith on the line with the ball destined for the net.

The defensive clearance ricocheted in the air to Corr who then saw his effort blocked by the head of Millwall captain Danny Shittu as Southend pressed the Championship side in the opening 10 minutes.

Southend' pressure paid off in the 22nd minute with Corr rising above the Millwall defence to head home past Forde.

John White delivered an excellent cross from the right which evaded the opposition and Corr took advantage nodding the ball low into the goal with a trademark header.

Millwall had goalkeeper Forde to thank minutes later after he pulled off a great save to deny Atkinson with the Blues nearly doubling their lead.

With 26 minutes on the clock and Southend with the initiative the game was thrown into darkness after the floodlights at Roots Hall turned off; the players were taken to the dressing room as the game was delayed for 15 minutes before restarting.

The rain came down heavily with the away side struggling to get into the game as Southend continued to look dangerous going forward.

On the stroke of half time Millwall's afternoon went from bad to worse after Easter was shown a straight red card for a stamp on Blues defender Coker.

Easter avoided the slide tackle from Coker on the wing before being adjudged to stamping with force in the players direction as he came back the ground giving the referee no option but to show a straight red card.

Southend made the most of the one man advantage by doubling their lead in added time of the second half through Atkinson after superb play in the middle of the park.

A trio of passes from Atkinson, Corr and Timlin gave the midfielder a clear sight of goal who advanced before simply sinking the ball over Forde sending the Roots Hall faithful into raptures.

The rain continued to fall heavily in the second half and with 54 minutes on the clock captain White nearly scored after he met Conor Clifford's near post cross with a glancing header which landed on the roof of the net.

Southend did extend their lead in the 55th minute through Timlin's low right footed strike which evaded Forde as the ball skidded off the wet surface.

Coker's cross was cleared by Shane Lowry right into the path of Timlin who smashed the ball low and hard into the goal as Southend all but secured their path into the next round.
Millwall pulled a goal back in the 64th minute after substitute Woolford calmly controlled Steve Morison's cross before volleying low past Daniel Bentley in the Southend goal with the away sides first real chance of the match.

Leonard nearly scored a tremendous goal from inside his own half after Forde's clearance fell straight to the midfielder before trying his luck only for the keeper to claw the ball over the crossbar.

With 80 minutes gone Corr nearly got his second of the match after Straker stole the ball from Alan Dunne before crossing to the striker who saw his header clip the outside of the post.

In added time Leonard compounded Millwall's misery with his third goal in two games after picking the ball up from Corr's lay off and advancing into the box tucking the ball into the top corner of the net.

Southend United comfortably secured their place in the fourth round of the FA Cup against higher opposition with a 4-1 victory in a very entertaining affair at the rain soaked Roots Hall.

Southend United: Bentley, White (Phillips 89),Thompson, Prosser, Coker, Timlin (Eastwood 82), Clifford(Laird 70),Leonard, Atkinson, Straker, Corr (subs) Smith, Laird, Phillips, Eastwood, Hurst, Payne,Woodrow

Millwall: Forde, Dunne, Shittu, Lowry, Smith (Marquis 78) Chaplow(Onyedinma 62) Abdou, Bailey, Martin(Woolford 45), Morison, Easter (subs) Wright, Woolford, Beevers, McDonald,Marquis, Onyedinma, Bywater

Advertisement block