Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Previous Meetings: Chesterfield FC

17 January 2014

A look back at Southend United's previous two meetings against Chesterfield this season

It’s one-apiece between the two sides heading into Saturday’s game against Chesterfield FC.

The Spireites ended Blues’ unbeaten start to the season back in August before Phil Brown’s side dumped Chesterfield out of the FA Cup in December.

Chesterfield 2-1 Southend United
24th August 2013

Southend United’s three-game winning run to start the season came to an end at the Proact Stadium.

Chesterfield themselves had made an excellent start to the season but despite some good football, it remained goalless at half-time.

The game burst into life after the break when Gary Roberts’ deflected free-kick from 30-yards flew past Daniel Bentley to put the hosts ahead.

But after a terrific individual start to the season, Freddy Eastwood grabbed an equaliser moments later as he volleyed home Kevan Hurst’s pass.

Both sides had chances, with Luke Prosser going close for Blues in the dying stages, but it was Chesterfield who won it.

Armand Gnanduillet, on as a substitute, headed home from Roberts’ corner in the 96th minute to hand the hosts all three points.

Blues: Bentley; White, Thompson, Prosser, Coker; Atkinson, Leonard, Clifford, Straker; Eastwood, Corr. Subs: Hurst, Timlin, Cowan, Smith, Reid, Payne, Banton.

Chesterfield 1-3 Southend United
7th December 2013

Revenge was sweet for Blues on their return to the Proact Stadium as they knocked Chesterfield out of the FA Cup at the second round stage.

It seemed as though it would be Chesterfield’s day again when Tendayi Darikwa tapped home from Gary Roberts’ cross, but Blues responded immediately.

Marc Laird headed home from Ben Coker’s corner before Roberts limped off for the hosts.

Moments later and Anthony Straker headed home from Kevan Hurst’s excellent cross to give Blues a 2-1 half-time lead.

Drew Talbot hit the post as Chesterfield began the second-half brightly, but it was Blues who should have gone 3-1 ahead as the game wore on.

Barry Corr was fouled inside the box from a corner and stepped up himself to take, but saw his effort well saved by Tommy Lee.

That save wasn’t enough to inspire Chesterfield as Blues instantly found a third.

Great work from Anthony Straker was followed by a pass from Laird into the feet of Hurst, who struck home brilliantly on his left foot.

Blues: Bentley; White, Kiernan, Prosser, Coker; Clifford, Laird, Timlin, Hurst, Straker; Corr. Subs: Phillips, Thompson, Eastwood, Smith, Payne, Reid, Edwards.

Advertisement block