Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Dagenham & Redbridge vs. Southend United

28 January 2014

Report: Daggers 1-1 Southend United

Southend United picked up a point on the road as they drew 1-1 with Dagenham & Redbridge to maintain their unbeaten league record in 2014.

Kevan Hurst’s goal just after half-time, his 11th of the campaign, gave Blues the lead.

Brentford loanee Luke Norris equalised for the hosts in the 68th minute as his deflected effort left Daniel Bentley with no chance.

Lee Barnard made his return as a substitute with 20 minutes remaining but he was unable to help Blues to all three points as they were made to settle for a point.

Phil Brown named an unchanged side for the trip to Victoria Park, with Lee Barnard named among the substitutes for the first time since his return to the club last Friday from Southampton.

The only other change to the 18 from the defeat to Hull City saw Ted Smith named as the substitute goalkeeper with Paul Smith out with an injury.

The first effort at goal came from Will Atkinson for Blues as the ball broke to him on the edge of the box. The midfielder’s volley was well struck, but went over the bar.

Kevan Hurst then had the first shot on target, but Chris Lewington was able to make a comfortable save, before Ryan Leonard charged into the Daggers box only to have his shot well blocked.

Bentley’s first action of the game came in the 30th minute when he had to be alert to make a smart stop from Rhys Murphy.

Medy Elito played in the Daggers striker, but Bentley stayed big to make a fine stop with his shoulder.

Murphy then tried his luck from further out and after Bentley had spilled the shot, Luke Prosser was in the right place to hack the ball clear.

There was a let off for Blues at the start of the second half as Murphy found the back of the net, only to be flagged offside.

Zavon Hines had beaten Adam Thompson and crossed, but as Murphy wheeled away to celebrate, the linesman raised his flag.

In the 53rd minute, Blues took the lead. Ben Coker’s corner fell to Will Atkinson who teed up Hurst.

The strike wasn’t his cleanest but it somehow found the bottom corner via the post.

Straker then picked up the ball 30-yards and hit and rasping drive that flashed past the post as Blues looked to build on their advantage.

But it was the Daggers who were celebrating in the 68th minute as Norris’ deflected strike looped up over Bentley and into the net.

Barnard replaced Barry Corr and Cauley Woodrow came on for Timlin as Blues went 4-4-2 for the final 20 minutes.

Bentley then had to make a smart stop to keep out another deflected strike from Norris before Leonard struck just wide after a quick break from Blues.

Substitute Conor Clifford saw a free-kick deflected up and over the wall but go just over the bar as Blues had the game’s last chance. 

Blues: Bentley; Thompson, Prosser, Phillips, Coker; Atkinson, Leonard, Timlin (Woodrow 71); Hurst, Corr (Barnard 71), Straker (Clifford 84).

Subs: T. Smith, Laird, Eastwood, Gomis.

Advertisement block