Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Match Report: Cambridge United 0-1 Southend United

26 December 2014

Barry Corr scored the only goal to give Blues' fans a belated Christmas present of three points!

A Barry Corr header early into the second half, sealed a valuable three points for a battling Southend United side against Cambridge United.

An even first half saw both sides fail to score, but Corr's headed effort, from a great cross from David Worrall, helped Blues secure a win against the mid-table U's. It was a deserved three points for Phil Brown's side.

Brown named the same side that picked up a point in the last game against Burton Albion, with Ben Coker keeping his place against Cambridge United.

However, on the bench, Adam Thompson and Gary Deegan missed out on the squad altogether, with Dan Matsuzaka and Jason Williams named as substitutes, as was Conor Clifford.

Blue began well, and after only seven minutes, Blues had the opening opportunity of the game. A well worked corner – taken by Ben Coker – found Ryan Leonard lurking on the edge of the box, but the midfielder fired over Chris Dunn's crossbar. It was almost a carbon copy of Leonard's strike against Mansfield Town at the start of November.

Four minutes later and Blues went even closer. Kevan Hurst was involved in some terrific link-up play, and after he touch ed the ball down for Jack Payne, the youngster crashed a half-volley against the underside of the bar before the ball bounced away to safety.

Blues were having plenty of the ball in the early part of the game, and came close again just after the 15 minute mark. Worrall sent in a nicely crafter low ball, and Corr spun well but volleyed just past Dunn's right-hand post.

Cambridge gradually came into the game a little more, and with 20 minutes gone, Dan Bentley had to be alert to tip over Josh Coulson's glancing header after Sullay Kaikai's ball into the danger area.

On the half hour mark, Blues had another good chance to break the deadlock. The impressive Hurst was involved again, the rampaging Coker saw his whipped cross find Worrall at the back post, but his header was straight at Dunn, who held easily.

A double substitution from U's boss Richard Money gave Cambridge renewed vigour at the start of the second half, with the hosts giving it more of a go. They went close ten minutes into the half, as Adam Cunnington drove a strike across the six-yard box, before Blues took the lead through Corr's header.

Moments later, and the visitors could have added a second. Hurst – who was having a great game – cut in from the left before drilling an effort that came back off the base of Dunn's right-hand post.

Blues were showing great signs of confidence, and on 65 minutes, Leonard forced Dunn into a full stretch save, with the U's 'keeper beating the effort away for a corner kick.

As the game wore on, the U's threw more men forward, and Luke Prosser had to be on hand to clear the danger when a ball bounced in the six-yard box late on.

At the other end, a cracking Coker cross found Coulthirst, and his cutback was at the feet of Payne, but his effort was deflected inches wide with just three minutes remaining.

And Blues managed to ride out the Cambridge storm, and returned to Essex with the three points, and their first win in December, setting up the game against Dagenham & Redbridge on Sunday 28th December, perfectly.

Blues: Bentley; White (c), Bolger, Prosser, Coker; Worrall (Weston, 75), Atkinson (Timlin, 77), Leonard, Hurst (Coulthirst, 85); Payne; Corr.

Un-used Subs: Clifford, P. Smith, Jason Williams, Matsuzaka

Advertisement block