Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Southend United vs. AFC Wimbledon

19 August 2014

Report: Southend 0-1 AFC Wimbledon

Southend United suffered their first defeat of the Sky Bet League 2 campaign, as AFC Wimbledon won 1-0 at Roots Hall on Tuesday night.

George Francomb scored the first goal against Blues of the league campaign, curling home a brilliant free-kick that left Daniel Bentley with no chance.

Despite seeing a late effort from Myles Weston cleared off the line, Blues were unable to find an equaliser against the Dons, as they won for the third year in a row at Roots Hall.

Unsurprisingly, Blues were unchanged from Saturday’s 2-0 win against Stevenage and Phil Brown stuck with the same 4-2-4 formation. The only change was on the bench with Isaac Layne being replaced by Ellis Brown.

Having got the opening goal of the game against Stevenage on Saturday, Weston had the first chance of this clash when he was found well by strike partner Barry Corr. Unfortunately for Blues, the summer signing curled the ball just wide of James Shea’s goal.

The Dons then went close to finding the breakthrough, but Bentley was equal to Francomb’s volley from outside the area as he parried it away to safety.

Conor Clifford, impressive in the opening weeks of the season, almost handed Blues the lead when he strode forward, but the midfielder’s effort went just wide of the target.

It was an end-to-end opening to the game and after Adebayo Akinfenwa had shot over when found in space, Shaq Coulthirst almost produced a moment of brilliance to open the scoring.

The Spurs loanee turned his man after receiving a pass from Kevan Hurst, got it onto his right and struck a fierce strike that Shea did well to push behind for a corner.

Weston then found the winger with an excellent switch but after controlling it on his chest, he fired wide of the target.

The scoring was opened on the hour mark as the Dons took the lead. Sean Rigg teed up Francomb from a free-kick and the right-midfielder curled it home brilliantly, giving Bentley no chance.

Blues had not been able to create too many chances in the second-half but within a minute they twice went close to equalising.

Hurst crossed well for substitute Lee Barnard, but Shea kept out his header superbly, before Barry Fuller cleared Weston’s hooked effort off the line.

Blues kept going in search of an equaliser to maintain their unbeaten start to the campaign, but the Dons held on to win 1-0 at Roots Hall for the second season running.

Blues: Bentley; White (Worrall), Prosser, Bolger, Coker; Leonard, Clifford; Hurst, Corr (Barnard), Weston, Coulthirst (Payne).

Subs: P. Smith, Ibenfeldt, Thompson, Brown

Advertisement block