Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

PREVIEW: Bury vs. Blues

21 September 2013

Report: Bury 1-1 Southend United

Ben Coker scored, and was then sent off, as ten-man Southend United drew 1-1 with Bury at Gigg Lane.

Coker atoned for his error against Scunthorpe last Friday with an excellent free-kick midway through the first half to hand Blues the lead.

The left-back was then shown a second yellow card late on and Blues were made to pay as Anton Forrester headed home in the 90th minute to earn the hosts a point.

Phil Brown made three changes from the Scunthorpe defeat as Barry Corr, John White and Anthony Straker were all recalled with Michael Timlin, Cauley Woodrow and Adam Thompson dropping to the bench.

Bury started the game brightly and Daniel Bentley was called into action in the 11th minute. The goalkeeper made a flying stop to keep out Tom Soares’ curling effort from the edge of the box.

Despite the hosts having the early pressure, Blues should have gone ahead in the 20th minute.

Trevor Carson in the Bury goal brilliantly saved Mark Phillips’ header from Ryan Leonard’s cross, and the defender couldn’t score from the rebound. 

Three minutes later and Blues were ahead. After his error last week, Coker made up for it with a brilliantly taken free-kick from just outside the right-side of the penalty area that curled into the far corner.

The goal had given Brown’s side a real confidence boost and they should have made it 2-0 in the 28th minute. 

Straker did really well to close down Nathan Cameron and win the ball back. The midfielder crossed for an unmarked Freddy Eastwood but Carson pulled off another good save to keep it 1-0.

Bury introduced former Blues loanee Danny Mayor at half-time and he caused a couple of early problems but his delivery on three occasions was poor.

The visitors then had the chance to double their lead. Straker’s cross found Hurst but after controlling on his chest, he volleyed just over the bar.

Moments later, another Coker free-kick caused problems, but it evaded everyone at the back post and went just wide.

Corr thought he’d made it 2-0 to Bues in the 77th minute after a goalmouth scramble, but the flag was up for offside against Hurst.

Bury then thought they’d equalised when Cameron headed home, but a free-kick had been awarded to Blues for a foul on Coker.

Substitute Cauley Woodrow had a good chance to double Blues’ advantage, but fired over under pressure from William Edjenguele.

Blues were reduced to ten men in the 88th minute as Coker picked up a second yellow card for a handball.

Bury took full advantage of the extra man and equalised in the 90th minute when Forrester headed past Bentley.

Bury went in search of winner but Blues held on to end their four game losing streak.

Blues: Bentley; White, Prosser, Phillips, Coker; Hurst (Timlin 81), Leonard, Atkinson, Straker; Eastwood (Woodrow 66), Corr.

Subs not used: Smith, Reid, Payne, Thompson, Clifford.

Goals: Coker (23)

Attendance: 2,895 (264 away fans)

Advertisement block