Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

PREVIEW: Blues vs. Morecambe

7 September 2013

REPORT: Blues 1-3 Morecambe

Southend United lost their first home League 2 game of the season as they fell to a disappointing 3-1 defeat against Morecambe.

Blues started the game brightly and took the lead through Kevan Hurst with a low drive before Andrew Fleming equalised for the away side minutes later.

Morecambe flew out the blocks in the second half and two goals in nine minutes settled the game for the visitors with Fleming getting his second before former loanee Jack Sampson scored with a deflected effort.

Despite Rob Threlfall being sent off just seven minutes after coming on for the away side, Blues couldn’t find a route back into the game and suffered their third straight defeat.

Blues started off brightly with the woodwork denying Freddy Eastwood an early goal after John White’s cross found the in-form striker perfectly only to see the header come off the foot of the post.

The game died down with neither side able to find the breakthrough until the 30th minute when Hurst scored on his first start of the season.

Ben Coker delivered a dangerous cross into the box which was destined for the head of Michael Timlin only for the midfielder to be clattered by Mark Hughes in the box.

The referee waved play on and Hurst picked the ball up on the right before cutting in and firing a low left footed effort which crept in at the front post past the helpless Barry Roche.

Morecambe hit back immediately in the 35th minute with Fleming curling the ball home past Daniel Bentley from 20 yards out.

Blues failed to clear their lines and Fleming capitalised on the matter, finding the bottom left corner with a delightful controlled finish.

The scores stayed level at half time but with only 17 seconds after the restart the away side took the lead after a defensive mistake gave Fleming his second goal of the game.

Luke Prosser mistimed a through ball which gave Padraig Amond a clear sight of goal only to be denied by a smart save from Daniel Bentley.

Unfortunately for the Blues, the rebound fell straight to Fleming who fired a low drive at goal which beat Coker on the line.
The away side doubled their lead in the 56th minute through former loan player Sampson after the striker evaded the challenge of Ryan Leonard before seeing his left footed 25 yard strike fly into the top corner via a slight deflection.

Roche denied Southend a way back into the game after the keeper pulled of a tremendous save to his left to deny Cauley Woodrow a debut goal after his header looked destined for the net.

Southend were thrown a lifeline in the 70th minute after substitute Threlfall was shown a straight red card for a tackle on Anthony Straker which the referee deemed dangerous after being on the pitch for only seven minutes.

Barry Corr looked lively for Blues with Roche denying the striker twice in a matter of minutes, comfortably claiming a header from six yards before palming a low curling effort round the post.

Southend were unable to find a way back into the game past the resolute Morecambe defence with the away side taking all three points.

Southend United – Bentley, White, Phillips, Prosser, Coker, Hurst, Timlin (Atkinson 62), Leonard, Straker (Payne 74), Eastwood, Woodrow (Corr 61) 

Subs not used – Smith, Reid, Clifford, Auger.

Morecambe – Roche, Kenyon, Hughes, Diagne (Threlfall 63), Wright, Ellison, Drummond, Fleming, Parrish, Amond (Mwasile 83), Sampson (Williams 90)

Subs not used – Arestidou, Marshall, McGee, Doyle

Advertisement block