Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Preview: Blues vs. Dag & Red

8 October 2013

Report: Blues knocked out of the JPT

Southend United will not be back at Wembley in the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy this season after a quite remarkable second-half saw them beaten 5-2 by Dagenham & Redbridge in the second round.

With only one goal in the first half from Zavon Hines the game lit up in the second with six goals in the space of 14 minutes.

Half time substitute Cauley Woodrow opened his account for the club with two goals giving Southend the lead before Dagenham shocked Blues with four goals in seven minutes.

Brian Saah powered home a header to equalise before Zavon Hines’ second goal gave the away side the lead.

Two defensive mistakes cost Southend moments later with Chris Dickson and Afolabi Obafemi making the most of their fortune giving the home side very little chance of finding a way back.

Dagenham were reduced to 10 men in the closing stages with Gavin Hoyte shown a straight red card for a reckless tackle on Ben Coker.

Blues had the first real chance in the 12th minute with Coker trying his luck with a 25 yard free-kick which missed the target by a matter of inches.

Southend continued to press with Daggers captain Abu Ogogo blocking Kevan Hurst’s low effort following Coker’s smart cross to the back post.

The away side took the lead against the run of play in the 26th minute through Hines’ header from six yards out.

Rhys Murphy’s tenacious attitude down the left hand side found Hines unmarked in the box who headed the ball into the top corner past Paul Smith.

With Dagenham in front at half time, Southend made a substitution with Woodrow replacing Craig Reid upfront.

The change made an impact immediately with the young striker heading in Coker’s left wing cross past Jordan Seabright in the 51st minute.

Coker burst down the left side before finding the striker inside the box who rose above Saah to nod the ball over the head of the keeper.

Three minutes later Woodrow got his second of the game after Hurst’s long range effort was parried by the keeper straight into the path of the forward who simply tapped the ball into an empty net.

Daggers equalised in the 58th minute through Saah’s powerful header from Matthew Saunder’s pinpoint free-kick.

The midfielder whipped in a cross from the right which the defender ran onto at pace, towering above the Blues’ defence and finding the back of the net.

The away side then got another goal minutes later with Hines superbly steering the ball past Smith from a deep cross at the back post sending the 416 away fans into raptures.

Dagenham & Redbridge were obviously buoyed by taking the lead and continued their onslaught on Southend with another two quick fire goals opening up a three goal advantage.

A low corner from Saunders was turned towards goal by Saah with Smith parrying the ball straight into the path of Chris Dickson who poked the ball home from less than six yards out.

A minute later Dagenham were celebrating once again with substitute Obafemi capitalising on a Smith error, slotting the ball into an empty net.

Luke Prosser headed the ball backwards which wrong footed Smith and as the keeper tried to claim the ball it spilled into the path of the substitute much to Blues’ despair.

With six goals scored in 14 second half minutes Southend were staring at a second round exit of the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy.

The game fizzled out with neither side creating any more chances and with minutes remaining Dagenham were reduced to ten men after Hoyte dived in on Coker which the referee deemed as a red card offence.

Southend’s attempts at heading back to Wembley were over with the stylish Dagenham & Redbridge holding on for victory.

Advertisement block