Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Fleetwood Town

18 October 2013

Report: Blues 2-0 Fleetwood Town

Barry Corr scored twice to extend Southend United’s unbeaten run to five games in the league as they beat Fleetwood Town 2-0 at Roots Hall.

Corr scored a goal in either half to make it three wins in a row and three clean sheets in the league to move up to sixth in League 2.

Fleetwood had the first chance of the match in the 10th minute after David Ball picked the ball up from 25 yards before firing a low effort at goal which Daniel Bentley was equal to.

Blues hit back with Kevan Hurst’s drilled left footed effort going wide of the target after cutting in from the right.

Cauley Woodrow nearly opened the scoring for Blues after Ryan Leonard’s long throw caused confusion in the box with the striker’s looping header tipped over by Scott Davies.

Southend did find the back of the net in the 21st minute after Corr scored his second goal of the season.

Hurst delivered a deep right wing cross which found the striker at the back post as he bundled the ball into the net.

Blues looked for the second and it was Hurst’s crosses giving Fleetwood something to think about at the back with another whipped delivery finding Mark Phillips at the front post whose guided effort was held by Davies.

After withstanding a huge amount of pressure the away side pushed forward and were awarded a free kick in a dangerous position which Antoni Sarcevic struck only to see his effort cannon off the post.

Sarcevic continued to cause Bentley problems with a stinging effort straight down the throat of the keeper who palmed the ball away to safety.

The game continued to open with chances for both sides as Conor Clifford’s speculative free-kick landed on the roof of the net from 30 yards out.

Blues went in at half time with the one goal advantage and it wasn’t until the hour mark that they were threatened with Ryan Crowther’s scorching right footed strike from distanced fizzed past Bentley’s left hand post.

Corr nearly doubled Southend’s advantage in the 69th minute after another superb deep cross from Hurst found the striker at the back post who saw his header go agonisingly wide.

The striker did find the second goal in the 81st minute from the penalty spot after Will Atkinson was brought down.

The midfielder surged into the box before being tripped by Liam Hogan just inside the area; Corr confidently stepped up and dispatched the penalty into the top left hand corner of the goal.

Southend looked for more with the impressive Clifford’s low drive skidding on the foot of the post from 20 yards out.

After securing the win Southend moved up to sixth in the Sky Bet League 2 table as they continued their impressive league form.

Advertisement block