Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

York City Preview

23 November 2013

Report: Southend United 2-1 York City

A crowd of over 9,000 saw Luke Prosser score a last-gasp winner to extend Blues’ winning run to four games as they beat York City 2-1. 

Kevan Hurst scored the opener for Blues, but was sent off just after York City have levelled through Ryan Bowman for a second yellow card.

Bowman was shown a straight red himself late on and Blues took advantage as Prosser headed home from Ben Coker’s free-kick.

The win extended Blues’ winning run to four games in all competitions ahead of the trip to Fratton Park to take on Portsmouth on Tuesday night.

Phil Brown made two changes from the side that beat Exeter City as Ryan Leonard missed out with injury and Cauley Woodrow dropped to the bench. Leonard was replaced by Marc Laird, making his first start since August 17th, while Barry Corr came in for Woodrow.

With the bumper crowd in excellent voice, Blues dominated the opening exchanges and found the breakthrough in only the sixth minute.

Coker’s corner was cleared as far as Hurst who fired a low strike into the far corner off the post to give Blues an early lead.

York first real chance of the game came in the 24th minute when Keith Lowe met Josh Carson’s free-kick, but Daniel Bentley pushed it away. From the rebound Bentley did well to save from substitute David McGurk, who had earlier replaced the injured Danny Parslow.

Bentley was beaten five minutes later, but thankfully the post came to the rescue of Blues’ ‘keeper who then smothered the loose ball.

Blues had to soak up some sustained York pressure, but almost doubled their advantage in the 40th minute. Coker’s free-kick was cleared only as far as Will Atkinson, but his volley went over the bar. 

Coker then played in another good ball, this time from open play, but Anthony Straker’s header didn’t find the target.

York did have the final chance of the half, but Bowman’s header from Wes Fletcher’s cross went inches over the crossbar. 

The visitors did level just after the break as Blues failed to clear their lines and the onrushing Bowman hammered home from 12-yards.

Things got even worse for Blues just two minutes later as Hurst was shown a second yellow card. The winger picked up his first card for celebrating with the fans following his goal, but was shown his second following a tug on Ben Davies.

Blues still went in search of a goal to regain the lead, but were almost caught out on the counter. Bentley came to his side’s rescue though with a terrific save to keep out Elliott Whitehouse.

In the 87th minute, York’s goalscorer was given his marching orders for a poorly timed tackle on John White.

It looked as though it would end level, but Prosser connected with Coker’s free-kick in the final minute to win it four Blues and make it four straight wins.

Blues: Bentley; White, Kiernan, Prosser, Coker; Laird, Timlin, Atkinson; Hurst, Corr, Straker (Woodrow 80)

Subs not used: Smith, Payne, Thompson, Bridge, Reid, Phillips.

Advertisement block