Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Portsmouth Match Preview

26 November 2013

Report: Pompey 1-2 Southend United

Ten-man Southend United came from behind to record their first ever win against Portsmouth at Fratton Park thanks to second-half goals from Will Atkinson and Barry Corr.

Blues got off to the worst possible start when Andy Barcham cut inside from the right and struck a sweet strike from 20-yards past Daniel Bentley.

Cauley Woodrow was sent off for Blues just five minutes after coming on as a second half substitute for what the referee adjudged to be an elbow on Jed Wallace.

The ten-men responded though and drew level when Will Atkinson slid the ball under Trevor Carson in the 76th minute.

Barry Corr then got his first goal since Fleetwood Town at home to put Blues 2-1 ahead in the 81st minute.

Despite late pressure, Blues held on to make it five straight wins in all competitions.

Phil Brown made two changes from Saturday’s win against York City as Conor Clifford, who was back from a three-game ban, replaced the suspended Kevan Hurst, while Adam Thompson came in for Marc Laird who dropped to the bench.

Pompey had sacked manager Guy Whittingham on Monday and under caretaker boss Andy Awford they got off to a flyer. 

In only the second minute, Barcham shrugged off two challenges from Blues players before firing past Daniel Bentley from 20-yards.

Blues’ first effort on goal came in the eighth minute, but Ben Coker’s curled free-kick never had enough conviction to trouble Trevor Carson in the Pompey goal.

John White, who has never scored a professional goal, had a great chance for Blues in the 28th minute. Coker’s corner was headed down by Corr into the path of White, but he couldn’t get his strike on target.

Pompey also made it 2-0 when they pounced on an error from Clifford, but Jed Wallace’s low strike went wide of Bentley’s goal.

Michael Timlin went close for Blues just before the half-time interval, but his half-volley went just over the bar after Corr had set him up.

Blues almost fell two goals behind on the stroke of half-time. Rob Kiernan attempted to clear Wallace’s cross but could only help it on its way towards Bentley’s goal. 

With Blues’ keeper beaten, Kiernan was thankful to see the ball come back off the bar and cleared away to safety.

The first real chance of the second-half was a glorious one for Pompey striker Connolly. He timed his run well to beat the offside trap but when one-on-one with Bentley he curled wide of the post.

Connolly was then denied by Bentley as he turned well following a pass from Shaun Cooper.

Woodrow replaced Thompson on the hour, but less than five minutes later he was heading down the tunnel. The young striker was shown a straight red for an apparent elbow on Wallace.

But the ten-men rallied and drew level in the 76th minute. Corr did well to beat his man and play a good through ball to Atkinson who slid the ball home with his left foot.

There was even better to follow five minutes later as John White did well to chip the ball to the back post where Corr was on hand to head past Carson.

The ten-men defended valiantly as they held on to remain unbeaten in November, with five straight wins in all competitions.

Blues: Bentley; White, Kiernan, Prosser, Coker; Thompson (Woodrow 61), Timlin, Clifford (Laird 66); Atkinson, Corr, Straker.

Subs not used: Smith, Reid, Payne, Njie, Phillips.

Advertisement block