Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Season Review: April

11 June 2013

The final month of the season saw Blues play at Wembley

April Fools Day saw Fleetwood Town make the long journey south as Phil Brown looked to gain the full allocation of points available in his first home game in charge of Blues.

Alan Goodall’s early goal from a corner saw the defender nod past Paul Smith at the near post after only two minutes.
The visitors had a great opportunity to add a second after Ryan Cresswell’s handball. A penalty was awarded but Gareth Evans’ spot kick was superbly clawed away by Smith, diving to his right hand side.

Barry Corr’s introduction mid-way through the second half proved to benefit Blues as he netted with just three minutes remaining.

Corr had another chance right at the death but his header was well saved by Fleetwood ‘keeper Scott Davies.

Blues had six days rest before the big day was upon us; a big Wembley final, a first for the club, against League 1 side Crewe Alexandra.

Crewe began the brighter and took an early, sixth minute lead when captain, Luke Murphy curled in a neat corner routine taken by Byron Moore.

Blues had their own chances from corners as well, but both Ryan Cresswell and Tamika Mkandawire had efforts fly just over the bar.

The Alex doubled their lead just after half time; Bilel Mohsni was robbed of possession by Murphy who found Moore and his pullback was slotted in by Max Clayton.

Blues had a couple of penalty shouts waved away and Britt Assombalonga’s effort was sensationally hooked off the line by Harry Davis, but Alex held firm to win the JPT.

The game turned out to be the last of Mohsni’s 62 games in Southend colours.

The following Tuesday saw Blues take on Rochdale at Spotland.

Blues went behind after 34 minutes when Michael Rose scored a well taken free kick before Mark Phillips equalised just a minute after the break.

Bobby Grant added a second for Dale five minutes later, and doubled his tally for the night soon after with a fine finish.

Ashley Grimes made it 4-1 on 77 minutes, finding the bottom corner.

Barry Corr pulled one back for Blues on full time but it was too late for Phil Brown’s side.

Blues missed a host of chances when they faced Bristol Rovers at Roots Hall on 13th April.

The final score was 0-0 but Phil Brown’s side created enough to win the game comfortably.

Britt Assombalonga and Barry Corr had good opportunities to score and former Blues’ ‘keeper Steve Mildenhall was in good form throughout, stopping Assombalonga and Freddy Eastwood from finding the net.

The games were coming thick and fast for Blues and next we had Aldershot Town to contend with down in Hampshire.

Phil Brown got his first Blues win under his belt as we ran out 2-0 winners at the Recreation Ground.

Goals in the 70th minute from Barry Corr and a Britt Assombalonga penalty, eight minutes later sealed the points for Brown’s men in Tamika Mkandawire’s final game from his loan spell from Millwall.

Blues were on the road again in the penultimate match of the season against York City at Bootham Crescent.

Still harbouring hopes of sneaking into the play-offs, Blues were 1-0 down after a minute when Adam Reed pounced to score for a York side that were battling for survival at the lower echelons of the table.

A poor clearance led to Ryan Leonard scoring his third of the campaign in the 22nd minute.

However, the Minstermen gained the upper hand once more when Matty Blair blasted in to the net four minutes before half time.

That was how it stayed as Blues saw their promotion ambitions end for another season.

The season finale was a home match against mid-table Morecambe.

A solitary goal proved the difference and it went to the Lancastrians in the 34th minute.

Andrew Fleming was the man who got the goal, nipping in to rob Sean Clohessy, Fleming tucked the ball past Daniel Bentley in goal as Blues ended 2012/2013 in defeat.

Advertisement block