Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Southend United vs. Northampton Town

16 February 2013

Ten-man Blues suffer last-gasp defeat

Ten-man Southend United suffered a last-gasp 2-1 defeat against Northampton Town at Roots Hall this afternoon.

Roy O’Donovan snuck in at the back post to give the Cobblers the lead before Bilel Mohsni was shown a straight red card for a high challenge on Chris Hackett on his return to the Club with 27 minutes gone.

Blues equalised in the 64th minute through Matthew Lund’s debut goal after the midfielder connected with Kevan Hurst’s corner.

It was heartbreak for Southend in the 90th minute though as Kelvin Langmead managed to connect to another long throw from Ben Tozer giving the away side all three points.

Blues started off brightly and nearly took the lead in the second minute after Kevan Hurst connected with Danny Mayor’s cross at the back post with his effort skidding across the box and inches wide.

Mayor was influential again for Southend cutting in from the left before rifling an effort at goal which skimmed past the post with Lee Nicholls rooted in the Northampton goal.

Against the run of play the Cobblers took the lead through O’Donovan after the striker snuck in at the back post after a huge throw from Ben Tozer.

Blues failed to clear the long throw and O’Donovan snuck in at the back and managed to squeeze the ball home excellently from an acute angle.

Southend tried to find their way back into the game against a stubborn Northampton defence with Anthony Straker trying his luck from long distance with a left footed effort which went wide of the target after 23 minutes.

Things went from bad to worse for the home side after Mohsni was shown a straight red card in the 27th minute after a high challenge on Hackett with the player making his first appearance this season.

Southend were up against it as Northampton looked to find another goal before half time but they were unable to do so against the 10 men.

Blues made them pay for not making the most of the extra man in the 64th minute with debutant Lund finding the target with a header.

The midfielder managed to connect with Hurst’s corner eight yards out and the ball eventually found the net with Kelvin Langmead unable to clear off the line.

Minutes later the home side nearly took the lead with Freddy Eastwood’s 30 yard free kick skimming the roof of the net with Nicholls flat footed in goal.

Blues continued to press with Hurst stinging the gloves of Nicholls with a swerving drive which nearly caught the keeper off guard.

The 10 men of Southend were undone by a last minute goal from Langmead who nodded in at the far post from another long throw which Blues were unable to clear.

The last minute goal was a massive blow for the Blues who had put on an excellent display, playing over an hour with a man disadvantage.

They’ll now have to go again on Wednesday when they entertain Leyton Orient for the right to play at Wembley.

Advertisement block