Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Barnet vs. Southend United

26 February 2013

Blues slip to 2-0 away defeat

Blues suffered a disappointing 2-0 defeat to Barnet at Underhill as they failed to build on Saturday’s 2-1 win at Wycombe.

Jake Hyde goal just after the half hour mark gave the hosts a lead against the run of play and victory was confirmed late on as Edgar Davids snuck in to tap home.

Paul Sturrock made three changes for the visit to Underhill. With Chris Barker out injured, Anthony Straker came in, while Ben Reeves replaced Danny Mayor and Matthew Lund came in for Ryan Leonard.

Britt Assombalonga, fresh off the back of his goal on Saturday, had the first real chance of the game. The striker beat the offside trap and cut inside but could only fire over the crossbar when in a good position.

The game had started at a high tempo, and it was the hosts who almost went ahead in the sixth minute. Mauro Vilhete broke from midfield into space but his goalbound shot was turned behind for a corner by Paul Smith.

Assombalonga then went close again for Blues as he picked the ball up 25-yards from goal, turned, and hit an low shot that went just wide of the post.

Barry Corr was next to go close. Lund dispossessed Clovis Kamdjo and the ball fell to Corr’s feet. The striker turned and shot instantly but his effort was held by Graham Stack.

Britt then had another chance as Reeves slid the ball through in to his path, but a deflection from the defender took the sting out of the shot.

Just after the half hour mark though, and against the run of play, Barnet were ahead. Mark Byrne’s cross to the back post was headed home by an unmarked Hyde.

Hyde then went close again as the half came to a close as he flicked a header goalwards that was turned behind by Smith.

Barnet were close to doubling their lead at the start of the second-half as Dani Lopez cut inside and fired just wide of Smith’s goal.

Smith was needed once again just before the hour as he got down smartly to his left to keep out Byrne.

Blues introduced Ryan Leonard just after the hour and he almost drew Blues level – but he couldn’t get enough conviction in his volley from the edge of the box.

With 18 minutes remaining, Blues were adamant they should have been awarded a penalty for handball, but referee Carl Berry was not convinced.

Ryan Cresswell had the chance to equalise for Blues in the 82nd minute, as he met Hurst’s corner, but the defender couldn’t quite turn it home.

And moments later, the game was out of Blues’ reach as Davids crept in around the back to tap past Smith.

There was to be no late fightback, as Davids almost made it 3-0 with a solo effort for the hosts, as Blues failed to build on the win at Wycombe on Saturday.

They entertain Rotherham United on Saturday looking to return to winning ways.

Advertisement block