Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Wycombe Wanderers vs. Southend United

31 August 2013

REPORT: Wycombe 2-1 Southend United

Two set-piece goals ensured Blues lost their second successive away game against Wycombe Wanderers at Adams Park.

Headed goals from Dean Morgan and Steven Craig, either side of Freddy Eastwood’s fourth goal in four games, handed the home side the win.

Blues hit the bar twice as they looked for an equaliser, but they were unable to find a goal as Wycombe just about held on to claim all three points.

Phil Brown was able to name the same side that lost 2-1 at Chesterfield FC for the visit to Adams Park to take on Wycombe Wanderers. Mark Phillips was absent again with injury, so too was Don Cowan. That meant Jason Williams, a youth-team striker, was among the substitutes along with Ryan Auger.

Both sides came into the game after conceding late goals last weekend to drop points, and after Barry Corr had gone close for Blues, Wycombe took the lead.

Luke Prosser gave away a free-kick on the left-hand side which was whipped in dangerously to the back post. Morgan was on hand to head past Daniel Bentley.

But just five minutes later, Blues were level and Eastwood was celebrating his best goalscoring run since 2005. Ryan Leonard did brilliantly to run at the Wycombe defence and cut the ball back for Eastwood to side foot the ball past Matt Ingram. 

The goal had given Blues a huge boost, and they almost went ahead in the 22nd minute. Luke Prosser found space in the area after Wycombe had failed to clear a corner, but Ingram made a good save with his legs.

Blues were on top and searching for a goal to put them ahead, but they fell behind again against the run of play in the 32nd minute.

John White and Blues’ fans were furious that a corner was awarded as the ball looked to have come off Morgan, but from the resulting corner, Craig headed a near-post delivery past Bentley.

On the stroke of half-time, Blues almost drew level again. Conor Clifford’s corner was headed onto the crossbar by White before Corr fired the rebound wide.

Blues began the second-half on the front foot and almost levelled twice in a matter of seconds. First, Eastwood’s glancing header was tipped round the post before from the resulting corner, White’s header was cleared off the line.

Having hit the bar once in the first half, Blues did the same again in the 69th minute. Kevan Hurst’s cross caused problems and after seeing his first shot well saved, Straker hit the crossbar with the rebound.

Morgan almost made it 3-1 late on as Wycombe had a rare effort on goal, but he hit the bar.

Despite heavy pressure and playing the majority of the half in Wycombe’s half, there was no way back into the game for Blues who succumbed to their second 2-1 away defeat in a row.

BLUES: Bentley; White, Prosser, Thompson, Coker; Leonard, Clifford (Hurst 53), Straker, Atkinson (Payne 81); Eastwood, Corr (Reid 53).

SUBS NOT USED: Smith, Auger, Williams, Timlin

Advertisement block