Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Southend United vs. Yeovil Town

6 August 2013

REPORT: Blues 0-1 Yeovil Town

Southend United suffered defeat in the first round of the Capital One Cup after a 1-0 loss against Championship side Yeovil Town at Roots Hall this evening.

Kevin Dawson’s well placed finish gave Yeovil a place in the next round as Blues were unable to score against their opponents who sit two divisions above them.

After a quiet start the first real chance of the game fell to Craig Reid in the 12th minute after the lone striker controlled the ball with his back to goal before swivelling and trying his luck with a left footed effort which skidded wide of the target. 

Blues continued to press with debutant Jack Payne looking sharp in the centre of midfield, skipping past the Yeovil midfield before seeing his effort well blocked by Byron Webster in defence.

Luke Prosser’s defensive clearance nearly ricocheted in on Sam Hoskins in the 24th minute after Joel Grant’s low cross caused problems in the Blues defence but Daniel Bentley was aware claiming the ball down low to his left.

Joe Edwards nearly gave Town the lead with a speculative volley in the 35th minute which flashed inches wide of the goal.

A minute later the away side managed to find the back of the net through Dawson whose first time effort nestled into the top corner of the goal from a difficult angle.

Hoskins played an excellent through ball to the right winger who took the ball in his stride before firing a right footed effort beyond Bentley in goal for the Blues.

Yeovil went into the break with a one goal lead and they nearly doubled it in the 50th minute through the lively Hoskins who picked the ball up in the middle of the park before unleashing a right footed strike that missed the target by a matter of inches.

Former Southend United youth player Michael Ngoo was next to try his luck testing Bentley with a left footed effort which skidded across the surface into the hands of the keeper low down to the right.

Southend fought hard to find an equaliser and nearly did in the 67th minute through substitute Barry Corr’s 20 yard free-kick which hit the side netting leaving Marek Stech rooted to the spot.

Blues sprung into life and a well worked move gave Don Cowan sight of goal flashing his strike wide of the target after beating Liam Davis to the ball from 25 yards.

Former Wycombe winger Grant had the opportunity to put end Southend’s hopes in the closing stages but somehow blazed over the ball over the bar under no pressure.

With five minutes added on Blues nearly took the game into extra time but Stech pulled off two excellent saves to deny Mark Phillips and Corr.

The home side battled tirelessly to break down the Yeovil defence but to no avail as the Championship side booked their place in the next round.

Southend United: Bentley, White, Phillips, Prosser, Bennett (Corr 60), Atkinson, Clifford, Payne (Leonard 58), Straker, Cowan (Coker 70), Reid (Subs) Smith, Coker, Eastwood, Timlin, Corr, Leonard, Edwards

Yeovil Town: Stech, Ayling, Edwards (Upson 63), Webster, Dawson (Madden 69), Ngoo (Moore 82), Hoskins, Tate, Clifford, Davis, Grant (Subs) McAllister, Seaborne, Upson, Foley, Stewart, Moore, Madden

Advertisement block