Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Southend United vs. Fleetwood Town

1 April 2013

REPORT: Blues held against Fleetwood

Barry Corr’s late goal earned Blues a point in boss Phil Brown’s first home game in charge of the Club against Fleetwood Town.

Corr’s header with five minutes remaining continued Phil Brown’s unbeaten start as the new boss after Friday’s point against Bradford City.

There were two changes for the hosts from the trip to Valley Parade as Ben Reeves and Luke Prosser missed out. Mark Phillips returned from injury and Freddy Eastwood returned to the starting XI.

Fleetwood took the lead after only two minutes; Junior Brown’s in-swinging corner was headed in by Alan Goodall, his deft touch at the near post beating goalkeeper Paul Smith.

On 17 minutes, the visitors almost added another goal; Bilel Mohsni was dispossessed by Paul McKenna whose pass found Gareth Evans. Fortunately for Blues, Evans left-footed strike hit the side netting.

The Cod Army had a great chance to add a second on 38 minutes after Jamie McGuire’s miss kick hit the arm of Ryan Cresswell.  Evans’ penalty was brilliantly saved, low down to his right by Smith.

Barry Nicholson’s free kick from 25 yards was well held by Smith on 42 minutes before the referee blew for half time.

Five minutes after the interval, Kevan Hurst’s deep free kick found the head of Cresswell at the back post but the defender’s header went just wide.

On 59 minutes, Hurst’s left footed drive flew well wide of Scott Davies’ goal as Phil Brown’s side looked to up the ante.

Minutes later and Mohsni’s dipping effort sailed wide of Davies’ right-hand post.

On 65 minutes, Hurst’s whipped cross was headed inches wide of the Fleetwood goal by Gavin Tomlin, who managed to rise above his marker, Nathan Pond.

Barry Corr replaced Mohsni on 68 minutes and almost immediately grabbed an equaliser for Blues; his header straight at Davies, however.

Hurst tried his luck once more as the clock hit 73; after a corner wasn’t cleared properly, the winger’s right footed effort found the side of the net.

Blues found an equaliser as Britt Assombalonga’s chipped cross to the back post saw Corr rise highest and nod the ball past Davies with five minutes remaining.

Blues rallied and Marc Laird saw his header saved as the minutes ticked away.

The hosts almost conceded again late on but Nicholson’s strike was well saved by Smith who pushed the midfielder’s effort away for a corner.

Smith, Clohessy, Straker, Cresswell (c), Eastwood (Laird, 57), Hurst, Phillips, Assombalonga, Tomlin, Mohsni (Corr, 68), Mkandawire

ATT: 5,107

Advertisement block