Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Aldershot Town vs. Southend United

16 April 2013

Brown picks up first win as Blues boss

Phil Brown picked up his first win as Southend United manager as Blues won 2-0 at Aldershot Town on Tuesday evening.

Barry Corr opened the scoring in the 70th minute, to take his tally to 13 for the season before Britt Assombalonga scored from the penalty spot to double Blues' lead.

Brown named an unchanged side for the game meaning Blues stuck with the 4-3-3 formation with Freddy Eastwood, Corr and Assombalonga all starting in attack.

There were two changes of the substitutes bench as Luke Chambers and Ben Reeves replaced Ted Smith and Seedy Njie.

After a slow start, Blues almost went in front in the 16th minute. Eastwood’s corner was met by Corr but the striker saw his header cleared off the line by Shots skipper Ben Herd.

Corr then had two shouts for a penalty turned down as first his header was blocked by the arm of Troy Brown and was then tripped by Sonny Bradley. Referee Trevor Kettle was unmoved however.

Aldershot’s first opening came minutes later as Peter Vincenti picked the ball up 25-yards from goal and unleashed an effort that flew just wide of Daniel Bentley’s left-hand post.

Bentley was then called into action on the half-hour mark as he tipped Paul McCallum’s header over after he had met Vincenti’s cross.

The young goalkeeper then had to be at his best to tip Michael Rankine’s cross, that was destined for the top corner, over the bar.

Rankine had Shots’ best chance right at the start of the second-half, but he headed Danny Rose’s free-kick over the bar.

Just a minute later and Blues were within inches of taking the lead. Corr played a good through ball to Assombalonga who beat his man being seeing his left-footed strike come back off the post and away to safety.

With twenty minutes to go, it was Blues who went ahead. Eastwood’s corner was headed back across goal by Ryan Cresswell and after a goalmouth scramble, Corr smashed the ball into the roof of the net. 

Seven minutes later and it was 2-0 Blues. Assombalonga latched on to Anthony Straker’s pass and was tripped by Brown in the penalty area. Assombalonga stepped up to take it himself and fired past Jamie Young. 

Cresswell had to be at his best to clear off the line after Rankine had flicked the ball goalwards while Asa Hall fired just wide from the edge of the box as Aldershot looked for a route back into the game.

Blues saw the game out in comfortable and fashion and Brown even handed a first senior appearance to Mitch Pinnock as he replaced Barry Corr for the remaining couple of minutes.

Final score: Aldershot Town 0-2 Southend United

Advertisement block