Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Southend 1 Wycombe 0

1 September 2012

Southend United secured their first three points of the season with a 1-0 victory against Wycombe Wanderers at Roots Hall this afternoon.

Britt Assombalonga scored the only goal of the game after seven minutes with a diving header which was enough to give Blues the win.

Wanderers had the first chance of the game inside the first two minutes after an excellent through ball from Matt Parsons gave Dennis Oli a sight of goal who toe poked his effort wide on the stretch from six yards out.

Blues were not on the back foot for long and took the lead in the seventh minute with their first clear chance of the game through Assombalonga.

Ryan Cresswell saw his looping header cleared off the line acrobatically by Matt Spring from Kevin Hurst’s corner with the intervention falling perfectly to the young striker whose diving header found the back of the net much to Southend’s delight.

Blues looked for their second goal and John Spicer nearly registered his first goal for the club, firing wide from 25 yards after finding space.

The home side only had 10 men on the pitch with Hurst being looked at after complaining of blurred vision and the Chairboys nearly made the most of the advantage with Parsons’ low cross nearly finding Oli in the box.

Hurst was unable to continue with Anthony Straker replacing the winger in the 28th minute as Blues looked to extend their lead.

Nikki Bull denied Southend a second goal in the 37th minute, saving smartly from substitute Straker after the winger’s low back post header looked destined from the net.

From the resulting corner, Cresswell nearly found his second goal in as many games as his side footed volley missed the target by a matter of inches.

Straker continued to cause problems for the Wycombe defence with his low left footed drive missing the target and the out stretched leg of Assombalonga as Blues finished the half the strongest.

Spicer had a glorious chance at the start of second half after a mix up in the Wycombe defence left him with just the keeper to beat, only to be denied by the leg of Bull.

It was the central midfielder again who tested Bull just after the hour mark from 18 yards out with a volley which the keeper saved well after the ball bounced just in front of him.

The Chairboys started to press the Blues defence and Joel Grant nearly found an equaliser for the away side after turning away from Luke Prosser before firing a left footed effort just over the bar.

Wycombe nearly found the equaliser in the 87th minute after Grant’s low teasing cross found Kuffour at the back post whose cut back was cleared by Cresswell.

The combination of Tomlin and Assombalonga nearly wrapped the game up in added time, with the latter side footing his effort wide of the goal from 18 yards after the lay off from Tomlin.

Southend held onto the one goal advantage giving the Blues their first win of the season against strong opposition.

Southend: Belford, Clohessy, Phillips, Cresswell, Prosser, Leonard (Harris 89), Timlin, Spicer, Hurst (Straker 28), Assombalonga, Tomlin.

Subs not used: Smith, Barker, Benyon, Woodyard, Njie.

Advertisement block