Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Sturrock: We were too confident

23 October 2012

Southend United boss Paul Sturrock felt his side were overconfident of a result before Tuesday’s match against Aldershot Town had even kicked-off.

The Shots ended a run of seven straight defeats by recording a 2-1 win at Roots Hall.

And Blues chief Sturrock felt his opponents’ bad form gave his side a false sense of security.

“There was one team that came out wanting to win and there was one team that thought they had won,” Sturrock told the official website. 

“That was the difference. Aldershot’s attitude and work rate was terrific from the first whistle. 

“So many of my players had an off night. Players that have been stalwarts all season didn’t come to the show.

“I am gutted.”

Southend found themselves on the back foot after just 25 seconds against the visitors when Danny Hylton was allowed to waltz his way past a static Blues rearguard.

It shocked the Roots Hall crowd into silence and Sturrock counted himself lucky that they finished the first half just one goal behind.

“Your game plan goes right out of the window,” he said. “All of a sudden we are panicking and Aldershot could have had a couple more in the first half. 

“We didn’t handle them well at all. Too few have been asked to do too much at the football club due to injuries and suspensions.

“After the tonic of the Rotherham game our last two results are a kick in the teeth.”

Mark Phillips however looked to have got United back into the game in the 68th minute when his header leveled up the score.

And when Britt Assombalonga was brought down in the penalty area, by Aldershot’s Anthony Tonkin, Southend looked destined for all three points. But a fine save from Shots keeper Jamie Young from Freddy Eastwood’s spot kick allowed Sonny Bradley to grab a winner three minutes from time.

“We get the penalty and you think we will be 2-1 up,” he admitted. 

“I don’t mind who grabs the ball as long as they are confident. I would imagine Freddy would have been confident to take it. 

“It wasn’t to be and the keeper has made a decent save. It gave them a wee spurt and then a mistake by our goalie coming for the ball cost us dearly.”

Sturrock also confirmed afterwards that Mark Phillips was substituted with a groin problem after slipping in the second half.

“I watched Phillips playing today and he probably shouldn’t have been,” he said. 

“That is because we are having to put people straight back in rather than have the luxury of weeks training before they come close to the team again.

“He couldn’t run. He slipped in the second half and his injury has reoccurred.”

Advertisement block