Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Straker surprised by Shots form

22 October 2012

Former Aldershot Town defender Anthony Straker hopes their bad run of form continues, on Tuesday night at least.

The Shots have lost seven matches in a row and are currently second from bottom in npower League Two. 

And although Straker hopes their results pick up in the near future, he hopes that comes after Tuesday’s encounter at Roots Hall.

“They have good players but every team goes through a bad spell,” he told the official website.

“Hopefully that continues tomorrow although I’d like to wish them all of the best after that.”

Straker left the Recreation Ground in the summer after five years and 222 appearances.

A tribunal today set the compensationfee for the 24-year-old at £17,500 after Southend and Aldershot were unable to agree a price.

The left back was part of a side under Dean Holdsworth that made a late surge for the play-offs last term and he admits he is surprised by their current struggles.

“The team has changed a bit since I left so I don’t really know what sort of side they will put out.

“It is a bit of surprise how they are doing but then a few people left in the summer.

“It will be a bit weird being on the other side but we will be in for a tough game and we have to pick ourselves up after Saturday.”

Straker has made ten appearances under current boss Paul Sturrock after a stop start to his Blues career.

However, he has started Southend’s last three matches and he hopes to keep his place tomorrow.

“It has been nice to get a few games and if the gaffer picks me tomorrow then I will be happy,” he said.

“I’ve enjoyed it here at Southend so far just hope there is more to come.

“Playing with new people takes a bit of time but I feel it is starting to come along and hopefully can stay in the side now.”

Advertisement block