Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

01 December 2018 Venue Roots Hall Attendance

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English FA Cup

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Previews

Big Preview: Southend United vs Barnsley

30 November 2018

Emirates FA Cup Second Round - Southend vs Barnsley

Southend and Barnsley go head to head tomorrow afternoon at Roots Hall to win a chance of drawing one of the Premier League big boys in Monday’s Emirates FA Cup 3rd Round draw.

It’ll be the sixth meeting between these two sides in the competition, with Barnsley winning the last encounter back in 2008 thanks to a single strike from Jamal Campbell-Ryce.

Both teams met in the league a little under a month ago with Kieffer Moore grabbing a late winner at Oakwell, but Blues go into the tie off the back of a morale-boosting win against Scunthorpe.

Barnsley come in off the back of a defeat to Sunderland but sit nine points above Blues in the table and will likely go into the tie as favourites with the winner receiving £54,000 in prize money.

Southend United: WLWLWD

Barnsley: LDWWWD

3rd November 2018: Barnsley (Moore) 1 vs 0 Southend United

12th March 2016: Barnsley 0 vs 2 (Payne, Timlin) Southend United

17th October 2015: Southend United (Wordsworth, Prosser) 2 vs 1 (Scowen) Barnsley

Southend’s worrying list of injuries continues to grow as Jason Demetriou joins a number of other Blues on the sidelines after hobbling off against Scunthorpe in midweek.

Boss Chris Powell doesn’t know the extent of the Cypriot’s injury, only that he’ll certainly miss Saturday along with other absentees Tom Hopper, Ben Coker, Sam Barratt and Harry Kyprianou.

Elvis Bwomono will likely deputise at full-back for Demetriou. Midfielder Luke Hyam continues to increase his playing time having returned from injury and he’ll be pushing for a second straight start.

Cauley Woodrow is in line to face his former club once again having made his Barnsley debut in the league encounter between the two sides in early November. 

Barnsley’s only notable absentee ahead of Saturday’s game is attacker Ryan Hedges who is out for a number of weeks with a broken toe.  

Chris Powell, Southend Manager:

“I want us to go for it. We haven’t been in the Second Round for a long time and you could tell me the last time we were in the 3rd Round – it was quite a while.

“It would be great for us to do that because you just never know what could happen, but we’ve got a tough draw, no doubt about it.

“We’re at home, but actually in the cup it doesn’t matter. Whether they make changes or not is irrelevant, we’ve got to put out an 11 that’ll do themselves justice.”

Andreas Winkler, Barnsley Assistant Manager:

“We’re playing away, so it will be a totally different match on Saturday. It’s a long journey – the longest since I’ve been here, so we’ll have to step up our efforts to progress to the next round.

“We have a young squad with lots of players who can be in the starting eleven who don’t differentiate whether it’s the FA Cup or a league match. We will show our best performance to win this match and hopefully get a top opponent in the next round, but I’m sure it will be a very tough match.”

Advertisement block

Sky Bet Widget

Match Reports

Match Report: Southend 2-4 Barnsley

1 December 2018

Blues exited the Emirates FA Cup at the second-round stage as Chris Powell’s side lost 4-2 to Barnsley at Roots Hall.

Kieffer Moore put the visitors in front with his fifth goal in three games against Southend midway through the first-half, powering a header home from an Alex Mowatt corner.

Southend would level though right on half-time when Sam Mantom’s corner appeared to go all the way through and into the back of the net to make it 1-1 at the break.  

Barnsley retook the lead early in the second-half when Blues failed to deal with another set-piece from Mowatt, allowing Cauley Woodrow to score from close range.

And the former Southend-loanee would put daylight between the two sides by tapping in Mike Bahre’s cross-come-shot after Blues again failed to deal with a corner.

Southend would give themselves hope of staying in the competition when Timothee Dieng headed in Stephen McLaughlin’s corner before Blues thought they’d equalised in the final minute of normal time only for Michael Turner’s strike to be controversially ruled out for offside.

It didn’t matter in the end though as Barnsley wrapped up the win in the fifth minute of stoppage time after George Moncur’s effort was parried to Bahre who fired in a fourth for the Tykes.  

The win for the visitors sees them go into the hat for Monday’s third-round draw while Southend must now concentrate on improving their league fortunes.

Having picked up a morale-boosting win in mid-week against Scunthorpe, high-flying Barnsley were a different proposition entirely to the Iron and Daniel Stendel’s side had already beaten Southend just under a month ago at Oakwell.

After the win against Scunthorpe, Chris Powell tried to freshen things up by making four changes as Elvis Bwomono, Michael Turner, Michael Kightly and Dru Yearwood came in for Jason Demetriou, Taylor Moore, Harry Bunn and Luke Hyam.

With a place in the third round at stake and a chance to face the big boys from the Premier League, both sides took some time to feel each other out in the early stages at Roots Hall with neither team able to find a clear breakthrough early on.

Barnsley would carve out by far the best chance of the half midway through the first period when former Col U player George Moncur slid Kieffer Moore clean through. The Tykes striker beat the advancing Mark Oxley but his shot lacked power, allowing Stephen Hendrie to clear off the line.

The visitors though would take the lead just shortly before the interval with a carbon copy of the goal they scored in the league game between the two sides back in November, with Moore giving the Tykes the lead with less than five minutes remaining in the half.

After Woodrow’s dipping strike forced Oxley to tip the ball wide for a corner, Alex Mowatt whipped the set-piece into the penalty area with Moore planting his header into the back of the net to put Barnsley front.

All signs pointed to Barnsley taking that lead into the interval, but Southend would level in the fourth minute of added on time after Timothee Dieng won Blues a corner. Sam Mantom’s near post ball appeared to go all the way through and into the net to make it 1-1.

The tie was evenly poised going into the second-half and Dieng thought he’d given Southend the lead shortly after the break, nicking the ball beyond Adam Davies to tap in only to see the linesman’s flag had been up for some time for offside against the Frenchman.

Having conceded from a corner in the first-half, Southend’s fragility at defending crosses was again their downfall as Barnsley retook the lead before the hour mark. A Mowatt corner was dropped on the line by Oxley under pressure, allowing Cauley Woodrow the bundle the ball over the line.

The former Southend loanee would then go and score again from another corner with 20 minutes remaining to all but condemn Blues to a second-round exit. After Southend failed to clear a Mowatt set-piece, Mike Bahre’s shot across goal found the run of Woodrow to make it 3-1 with a simple tap-in.

With nothing to lose, Powell made a triple substitution bringing on Harry Bunn, Theo Robinson and Shawn McCoulsky and Blues would get themselves back in the tie with little over five minutes remaining when Dieng headed in McLaughlin’s corner to give Southend hope.

Knowing that another goal for Blues would almost certainly force a replay up in Yorkshire, Southend thought they had equalised in the final minute of normal time when Blues won a corner. After Bunn’s header on goal was saved, Turner rifled home only for the linesman to rule the goal out for offside.

Southend couldn’t believe their bad luck and the decision seemed harsh on the Blues, but it would matter not in the end as Barnsley booked their place in the third round when Mike Bahre fired in from close range late on to send Barnsley into Monday’s draw.

Blues XI: Oxley, Bwomono, Turner, Kightly (Bunn 76’), Dieng, Cox (Robinson 76’), McLaughlin, Yearwood (McCoulsky 76’), Mantom (C), Hendrie, White. Subs Not Used: Bishop, Hyam, Moore, Hutchinson

Barnsley XI: Davies (C), Fryers (Pinillos 68’), Pinnock, Lindsay, McGeehan, Moncur, Moore (Potts 81’), Bahre, Woodrow (Adeboyejo 90+1’), Mowatt, Brown. Subs Not Used: Greatorex, Cavare, Jackson, Thiam

Referee: Paul Marsden

Assistants: Rob Smith & Andrew Ayott

Fourth Official: Sam Purkiss


Southend United: Sam Mantom 45+4’, Timothee Dieng 84’

Barnsley: Kieffer Moore 41’, Cauley Woodrow 56’, 70’, Mike Bahre 90+5’

Yellow Cards:

Southend United: None

Barnsley: Zeki Fryers 45+2’

Attendance: 3,616 (343 Away)

Advertisement block

Advertisement block